Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: 2 unrelated topics

  1. #1
    Inactive Member GREATwarEAGLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 29th, 2002
    Posts
    530
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    It's been quite a while since I posted here. So I apologize if I'm posting familiar, tired topics.

    1. Is there such a device, maybe some kind of video camera, that can give you an accurate, instant preview of what your film shot will look like? A device that would require you to enter in the ASA you're using, shutter speed, f-stop, type of lens, etc. It would be like a video-assist for precise exposure.

    Does something like this exist? Or am I dreaming? I haven't exactly thought if such a thing is even practical. It's not that I'm too impatient or lazy to do the necessary calculations for effective cinematography. I'm just curious. I do have a good Sekonic light meter, but I was just wondering if technology has gone a step further yet.

    2. Who else here lives in the NYC area? I know becomedeath does. I too have a crystal sync modified Beaulieu. I live in Astoria, Queens. 30 minutes from Times Square.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Nigel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2000
    Posts
    1,668
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yeah-- Something like that does exist. It is made by Kodak with Panavision. It is called the "Preview System".

    The way it works is you take a digital still with a camera provided by Kodak. Then you load it into a computer that you also rented with the software(BTW: Don't try to copy the software since Kodak/Panavision has it protected with some crazy stuff).

    Once it is in the computer you can say what lens was/is on the camera. What film stock you are shooting. How it will be processed. Will it be transfered to video?? Will it be printed to film?? Then you can pick your print stocks and video Xfer.

    It is really cool shit. I have used it before and was blown away by it. The only thing is that the director and DP end up huddled around the computer much like a video assist.

    Good Luck

  3. #3
    Inactive Member rollemfilm's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 1st, 2000
    Posts
    437
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Many folks still use a manual Polaroid camera to judge exposure, DOF and lighting.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Matt Pacini's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 27th, 2001
    Posts
    567
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Pretty cool, but man, I can imagine it would eat up so much time with yet another reason for everyone to stop after each shot, and get everyone's opinion, etc.
    I've never even worked with video assist, and frankly, on my budgets, I don't think I could afford the extra time involved.
    I know, that sounds counter-productive, since nobody can afford reshoots either, but...
    I can see using it on FX heavy films, though, but the irony is that many times they do this, but don't consult the FX people and hand in crappy footage anyway (at least as far as being shot with FX in mind).
    I have a couple friends that do CG in L.A., and some of the stories they tell me are hilareous.
    They did a music video, and they were shooting 35mm greenscreen for heavy compositing with CG backgrounds to be put in later, etc., and Ken said the director rented two camera's, and grabbed the second one, and started running around during the shot, getting all this jerky hand-held footage.
    After the shot, Ken says "I hope you're having fun, because virtually all of the footage coming from that camera is going into the trash".
    They guy didn't get it at all, and kept doing this.
    Gee, I wish I could afford to burn rawstock like that!

    Nigel, do you know what it costs to rent the system?
    Do many people use this these days?

    Matt Pacini

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ April 24, 2003 06:26 PM: Message edited by: Matt Pacini ]</font>

  5. #5
    Inactive Member becomedeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 26th, 2001
    Posts
    64
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Which Beaulieu do you own? I have the 4008. If you'd like to get together to bounce ideas off each other that could be arranged. If you would like to hang out I live in the East Village. I play chess nearly every day in Tompkins Square Park. I work at the new Olive Garden in Chelsea (22nd street and 6th avenue, I bartend). I'll make it easy on you. If you choose to search me out I am a white male, 6'4," about 170 lbs and am 22 years old. And so, if you come to one of these places you will be able to spot me, then, if I don't look like someone you'd want to hang out with, you can walk away without any pressure. Take it easy.

    Tayman Strahorn

  6. #6
    Inactive Member GREATwarEAGLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 29th, 2002
    Posts
    530
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> Pretty cool, but man, I can imagine it would eat up so much time with yet another reason for everyone to stop after each shot, and get everyone's opinion, etc. </font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

    That is a good point. But this sort of thing seems to be a pre-production device. That's when I would use it. It really wouldn't make sense to wait until you're on the set or at the location to make use of it.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    becomedeath - are you shooting anything right now? Or planning anything soon? Myself, I was heavy into shooting a short last summer but my crystal sync box was screwing up. So I stopped. I don't know if and when I'll resume. My camera is the 5008. Lately I've just been writing scripts.

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ April 24, 2003 08:23 PM: Message edited by: GREATwarEAGLE ]</font>

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Nigel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2000
    Posts
    1,668
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I don't know how much it costs to rent. I have never had to pay for it. It was a great tool--If you use it well. Anything can turn into a distraction if surrounded by the wrong people. As far as I know people use it enough to make it worth while for Kodak top keep it around and keep it updated.

    Also if you are in the East Village go into Scratchers on fifth street and second ave.

    Good Luck

  8. #8
    Inactive Member GREATwarEAGLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 29th, 2002
    Posts
    530
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks Nigel. I looked it up and found the preview system website

    I actually heard someone mention it once. About 4 years ago. But they didn't go in depth so I wasn't exactly sure what it was.

    It'd be nice if a simpler version just for the purposes of experimenting with exposure, not color or anything else, was available. One that doesn't require loading info into a computer. Just the modified camera that would show you the preview in a traditional manner - through the LCD display or recording on tape and playing it in any standard player.

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ April 24, 2003 12:52 PM: Message edited by: GREATwarEAGLE ]</font>

  9. #9
    Inactive Member becomedeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 26th, 2001
    Posts
    64
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I am not shooting any large projects right now. Now that I have all the technical problems out of the way, atleast for the most part, I can start shooting larger and larger things without fear of something not working out. Now I am just forming ideas. The chess tables in Tompkins Square Park is a very interesting scene and would make a wonderful documentary-type film. However, along with chess players there are many homeless people and they, for the most part, do not like being filmed. I go there very often though and know many of the regulars there, so perhaps I can work something out.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member MovieStuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 28th, 2001
    Posts
    847
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    We have a Minolta Dimage7 digital camera. It only goes down to f8 but I am amazed at how accurate the metering system is in the blasted thing. Doesn't focus for beans either, in my opinion, but the in-camera electronic display is dead-nuts on target with my Nikon and Sekonic. I've found that I can look in my Dimage7 and adjust the shutter speed or aperture until the image looks right, exposure wise, and it matches my Nikon and Sekonic readings every time. So the Dimage7, at least, might be an adequate exposure assist for judging your lighting.

    Roger

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •